So how did Oil Pulling get started?
Oil Pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that is used to pull toxins out of the body. Oil Pulling was popularized by Ukranian Physician, Dr. F. Karach when he created a written down technique for the process.
It essentially involves swishing and gargling the liquid inside of your mouth for a period of about 15-25 minutes. This can be Coconut, Sunflower, Sesame, or what ever other type you choose. The main premise behind the method is that the oil pulls the toxins from your blood and into the mucous membrane, this is why it is never swallowed.
Many people have trouble believing that swishing this around in your mouth would do anything at all, however there have been extensive scientific studies concluding that pulling is indeed an effective alternative health treatment.One study in particular tested the effects of pulling on plaque build-up inside of the mouth. This study concluded that adding pulling to part of your daily health regimen can significantly reduce the amount of plaque build-up inside of your mouth. It is said to be great for dental problems like bleeding gums, gum disease, loose teeth, bad breath, and cavities. In addition, it has been known to reverse the effects of gingivitis. There have been many reports of individuals with gingivitis who have completely cured the disease, much to the astonishment of their periodontist. Also, several people have reported that they have completely avoided costly and painful root canals by performing a pulling daily. Oil Pulling has even been known to strengthen loose teeth in the hopes of avoiding a costly extraction.
People claim that it can heal a number of conditions and improve the health of your skin.
When you first start your oil pulling regiment, I would recommend that you take it slow.
Fortunately, as mentioned before, you can use regular household cooking oil such as Coconut, Olive, Sesame, or Sunflower.
If you are interested in starting the process, the following are instructions:
1) Put 1 tablespoon of a cold pressed oil in your mouth for the oil pulling. You should oil pull first thing in the morning before you brush your teeth, drink, or eat anything.
As an example, upon waking up, we put 1 tablespoon of oil in our mouth, then we take our showers and get dressed. We find that it is the easiest way and does not change up our routine.
2) Swish the oil around in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes. Push and pull the oil between your teeth. Make sure that you make noises with it, that makes sure you are really forcing it between your teeth.
The first time you do this, it might be difficult to keep the oil in your mouth for so long because your gag reflex may kick in. If so, just spit it out and over time, you will be able to work yourself up to the 15 - 20 minutes.
3) Tilt your head back slightly to make sure you get between your back teeth. Do not gargle with it. Keep your mouth closed and just swish back and forth.
4) Do something while you are oil pulling. It makes the time go by faster. Just sitting and swishing can become pretty boring.
5) When you are finished, spit the oil in the toilet or the trash can. It should be thin and white. If it is still yellow in color, you did not swish long enough.
The oil contains lots of bacteria and should not be spit in the sink. (may cause clogging).
If you spit in the sink, please make sure you clean the sink with hydrogen peroxide or something else that will disinfect it afterward.
6) Rinse your mouth out well.
7) Brush your teeth as usual.
8) Drink a glass of water.
a) You can oil pull up to 3 times per day.
b) Always do it on an empty stomach - 4 hrs. before eating or 1 hr. after drinking.
c) Don't gargle with the oil.
d) Don't swallow the oil.